April 15, 2011

Review: Clockwork Angel





Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: Infernal Devices #1
Publisher: McElderly Books
Published: August 31st 2010



MAGIC IS DANGEROUS - BUT LOVE IS MORE DANGEROUS STILL.
When sixteen-year old Tessa Gray crossed the ocean to find her brother her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for in London's downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gas-lit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, who are members of a secret organization called the Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns she herself is a downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. Whats more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters at the London Institute, who swear to help her find her brother if she will use her power to help them. Soon she finds herself facinated by - and torn between - two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone at arms length... everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world... and that love might be the most dangerous magic of all.



I admit this book let me down a bit, I suppose it just wasn't was I was expecting as the prequel to Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments phenomenon. Not that it wasn't a great, brilliant, awesome book, I just imagined to live more up to it's expectations. Anyways, on to the 'Pro's.' For one thing I loved the setting, whats better then to read a book in London, England? I loved how Clare described the setting and I could really imagine myself being there, it must of took a lot of research to get some of those details exactly right but it certainly paid off because I think Cassandra nailed it! Another thing I liked was how she really made it so the characters were in the 1800's of England, and not some spinoff of what she imagined it to be. So you could say I was pretty impressed with the layout of things.


Another thing that got me thinking at first was how different it was to be a girl living that age where as being a shadowhunter meant that you were wearing pants, and battle gear, something that greatly surprised Tessa, the main character. I liked how Cassandra Clare wanted the girls to be able to do things that most weren't aloud to do in the century, and I applaud her for that.


But there were also somethings that I think were done not as well, the plot line for one seemed to be going either too slow or too fast and I wasn't finding that harmony that I was able to find in The Mortal Instruments. Another thing was that I disliked some of her characters and thought that either they needed to have more depth or not be introduced. Jessamine for one was someone who I found quite confusing, and somewhat overlooked, she only did one brave thing, barely appears in the story, and doesn't really seem to be needed at all. I didn't understand her at all and I definitely disliked her, hopefully things will change in Clockwork Prince. Which I should mention is the next book in the series! The cover is currently no available but I will definitely update you when the release happens!


Overall I enjoyed Clockwork Angel and I rate it 4 STARS!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your catching up with me on the followers in no time! How DO you do it? :)

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know?! People just follow me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete